Budget Cooking...Comfort & Gourmet!
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Hearty Beef Stew
1/4 c Oil (I used Canola)
Unseasoned Meat Tenderizer
1/3 cup Flour
about 1lb each of Beef Stew Meat and Meaty Soup Bones
5 Garlic Cloves, Smashed and Chopped
1 Onion, Quartered and Diced
1 lb Carrots, Rough Cut
1 bunch of Celery Hearts, Sliced
1 32 oz Can Diced Tomatoes with Juice
1 15 oz can of Tomato Sauce
2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar (optional)
Black Pepper, to taste
4 cups Boiling Water
4 Beef Boullion Cubes
Traditional Beef Stew require the addition of Worcestershire Sauce. I didn't have any on hand.
I chose not to add salt to this recipe. The canned vegetables already contain salt. There is salt in the Unseasoned Meat Tenderizer. There is also sodium in the Beef Boullion Cubes. Taste this to see if you prefer additional salt.
1. Wash and Prepare Vegetables. Set Aside
2. Wash Meat. Sprinkle with Unseasoned Meat Tenderizer and Black Pepper.
Toss Meat in Flour. Set Aside.
3. Heat Oil in Heavy Bottomed Dutch Oven
4. Brown Meat on Both Sides. Remove From Pan. Set Aside.
5. Saute Mire Poire in the Oil.
6. Add Garlic.
7. Add Herbs.
8. Add Diced Tomatoes with Juice and Tomato Juice.
9. Dissolve Boullion Cubes in Water. Add to Pot.
10. Dissolve Corn Starch in Cold Beef Stock. Add to Pot.
11. Add Reserved Browned Stew Meat to the Pot. Cover with Lid. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for
You may serve this over rice, cubed baked potatoes or cooked egg noodles.