Budget Cooking...Comfort & Gourmet!

Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Red Beans and Rice (Crockpot Recipe)



I got this recipe from (Robin) lovekisses99 of YouTube.

Sort, Clean, and Soak the Beans Overnight









Fresh pressed Garlic makes this dish a winner!





Oops! I inadvertantly omitted the onions. (Added them later with the meat)




Cover the beans with water.



For a main dish, I used 2 lb.s of Beef Kielbasa



Half and quarter the kielbasa.



Add meat (I added an additional 1/4 cup of water because we like gravy and with the additional meat, I was afraid it was going to be dry)


Stir



Replace Lid and cook for an additional hour.



After 8 hours of slow cooking, it's finally done!



Mmmmm...serve it up...



...over your rice of choice.



Delicious!



Enjoy!



INGREDIENTS

1 lb kidney beans (sorted, cleaned, and soaked overnight)
1 tbsp Emeril's Bayou Blast
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 quarts of water
1 lb kielbasa (optional) cut and cubed
substitute 1 tbsp of liquid smoke for a vegan recipe

Instead of 1 tsp of Perfect Pinch , I used 1 tbsp of Emeril's Bayou Blast Click Here for Recipe.
I also used pressed instead of minced garlic. I planned this as a main dish instead of a side dish. I used 2 lbs of Beef Kielbasa instead of 1 pound.

DIRECTIONS:

1. Sort, Clean and Soak Beans overnight.
2. Drain rinse and strain the beans.
3. Add beans to crock pot.
4. Add garlic, onions, seasonings, and bay leaf.
5. Stir
6. Cover with water.
7. Place lid on crockpot and cook for 7 hours on HIGH.
8. Add kielbasa and cook for an additional hour.
9. Stir.
10. Remove Bay Leaf.
11. Serve over rice.

Enjoy!

UPDATE
* I reserved 1 cup of cold water & mixed in 2 tbsp of corn starch.
This thickened the "gravy". I also cut the kielbasa & rendered the fat in the oven about 20 minutes before beans were done. I added the meat just before serving.

Please check out lovekisses99. She's an incredible cook!

No comments: