Budget Cooking...Comfort & Gourmet!

Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Braised Cabbage (Alexandra Guarnaschelli Inspired)

I substituted olive oil for butter in this recipe. As well as Apple Cider Vinegar for the Red Wind Vinegar. My quantaties varied from the original recipe as well.
I served this dish with Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Indian Spices. I KNEW my family would be overwhelmed with spice had I used a Poblano Pepper. I substituted a Bell Pepper instead.

Savoy Cabbage and Bell Pepper (You can use a frying pepper or a bell pepper instead of the original recipe's Poblano if you can't take the heat)



Seasonings




Tasty Pan De-glazing Elements



Clean & Cut the Cabbage. Set Aside.



Measure & Mix Together Caraway Seeds, Cumin & Coriander. Set Aside.







Warm the Oil, Add the Seasonings & Stir



Add the Cabbage to the Oil and Seasonings



Stir the cabbage to coat with the oil and the seasonings.



Add Peppers





Allow Cabbage to Caramelize. There is a HUGE difference between caramelized & BURNT. And er uh...Let's just say I walked away from the stove too long. UGH! I'll be re- posting a final photo when I make this again! Apologies!

Juice An Orange.





Mix Orange Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar.



De-glaze the pan with the Acidic Mixture.



Serve Over Rice.



INGREDIENTS

Olive Oil to cover the base of your pan
1 Medium Head of Savoy Cabbage
1 Pepper (Frying, or Bell if you can't take the heat of Poblano)
1 tsp Caraway Seeds
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1 Orange Juiced
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper (if you choose not to go with Poblano)

DIRECTIONS

1. Cut Cabbage. Set Aside.
2. Julienne/Chop 1 Pepper. Set Aside.
3. Assemble Caraway Seeds, Cumin and Coriander. Set Aside.
4. Juice Orange & Add 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar. Set Aside.
4. Heat Olive Oil.
5. Add Seasonings to Olive Oil. Stir for about 10 seconds.
6. Add Cut Cabbage to Oil/Seasoning mixture. Stir.
7. Allow Cabbage to wilt.
8. Add Peppers.
10. Allow Cabbage/Pepper Mixture to caramelize.
11. Pour Orange Juice/Apple Cider Vinegar Mixture over Cabbage to de-glaze the pan.
12. Serve Cabbage over Rice.

This was tasty. My husband enjoyed it the most. I was nervous about using the caraway seeds because he ALWAYS complains when I buy seeded rye bread. I didn't tell him what was in this. He just kept telling me how "delicious" everything smelled. After having eaten this, he said it was "exotic" & the different flavors were "bursting" in his mouth. I took that to mean it was a winner.

Click HERE to get Alexandra's Original Braised Cabbage Recipe

No comments: