Budget Cooking...Comfort & Gourmet!

Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sumptuous Slow Cooker Meal - Curry Chicken

Maximize flavor and minimize time standing over the stove with this delicious recipe.
Brimming with "UMAMI", this dish is a family favorite.



I tweaked the dish once prepared during my childhood by a Barbadian friend of my mother's. Claude did not use coconut milk. He did however use fresh tomatoes, and bell peppers. These veggies are omitted from this recipe, but would enhance it if you prefer to add them. I LOVE spicy food! My family does not. I omitted the traditional use of the Scotch Bonnet Pepper. I did not even add red pepper flakes to the family's portion. If you prefer a more traditional curry, be sure to add some spice to bring on the heat.

Spices Make this Dish Sing!



Wet Ingredients



Don't do like I did. Loose the skin! It shrivels and who needs the extra calories?



Note! Add seasonings BEFORE onions & garlic. I goofed & did it backwards.






Garlic and Onion



Coconut Milk Thickens the Gravy



Cook for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.



INGREDIENTS
3 lbs of Chicken (Dark meat)
3/4 cup Coconut Milk
1/2 qt. Chicken Stock
1 Medium Onion Quartered and Sliced
1 Head of Garlic (12 cloves) peeled, and pressed
1 tbsp Curry Powder
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
(Optional 1 tbsp Lawry's Seasoning Salt)

DIRECTIONS

1. Clean Chicken. Remove Skin (I didn't do this & regretted it afterwards)
2. Mix spices/seasonings. Set Aside
3. Quarter and slice Onion. Set Aside
4. Peel & Press 12 cloves of Garlic.
5. Add Chicken to Crock Pot. Shake seasoning mixture over meat, coating it.
6. Add onions and garlic.
7. Add chicken broth and coconut milk
8. Add Bay Leaf
9. Cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW.
10. Remove Bay Leaf
11. Serve over rice.

Enjoy

Hours Later...All Done!
Don't forget to remove the Bay Leaf





Fluffy rice. (I love my rice cooker)



Serve "family style" on a large oval platter, over rice, boardered with fresh green peas.



Close View

No comments: