Budget Cooking...Comfort & Gourmet!

Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Egg Rolls





I could barely plate these and photograph them. The family devoured them!

Special thanks to Nadya and Lisa for the inspiration & basic blueprint for this recipe.





INGREDIENTS

Oil for frying
1 lb ground turkey (or loose boca burger for my vegetarian followers)
(I also had a small pkg of salad shrimp I set aside for this recipe... this is optional. It was a job cleaning them. There were so many of them & they were so small!)
1 pkg egg roll wraps
1 pkg cole slaw mix
2 eggs

Seasoning
White Pepper
Ground Ginger
Garlic Powder
Rice Vinegar
Soy Sauce


DIRECTIONS

1. Beat the eggs, & set them aside.
*Cholesterol conscious ones can use only the egg whites for this recipe.
I used the entire egg.

2. Brown ground turkey. Season with 1 pressed garlic clove.
Add garlic powder, ground ginger and soy sauce to taste. Set aside.

3. Place water in a stock pan.
4. Add Seasonings to taste.
I used 1 tbsp each of Rice Vinegar and Soy Sauce.
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Bring to a boil.

5. Add Cole Slaw Mix. Cook for about five minutes. Remove from water with a slotted spoon. Set Aside

6. Lay egg roll wraps flat.
It should be in a diamond shape with one of the corners facing you.
Place about 1 tbsp of ground meat in the center of the egg roll wrap.
Using a fork, add a double portion the cooked slaw mixture.
You may top with additional meat. It is up to you.
Using the fork, wet the edges of the wrap with the egg mixture.

Next, take the corner closest to you & fold it over the mixture. Fold in the sides
and roll until you have a sort of envelope. My first few egg rolls were not very neat. You will improve with practice. You may need to seal the exterior corner of the egg roll wrap.

Deep fry the egg rolls for 3 to 5 minutes at approximately 365 degrees. Drain.
Paper towels will soak up excess oil.

Enjoy!

UPDATE...
I've made these several times tweaking along the way.
Tips I've learned.
- Lay down the cabbage before the ground meat. The wraps have less tendancy to break.
- Buying a head of cabbage is less expensive than the cole slaw mix. If you are willing to cut it by hand, go for it.
- Instead of using the Rice Vinegar, I cooked the cabbage in chicken broth. It was much more flavorful.
- Fresh chopped Ginger instead of Powdered Ginger tastes even better.
Salad Shrimp

Shrimp + ColeSlaw + More Shrimp (egg on the border)














*UPDATE...I made these a 2nd time.
I cooked them for 3 minutes on one side and one minute on the other.
The top photo reflects the 2nd attempt.


4 comments:

Prissy Mum said...

I have been waiting for more recipes :). They look YUMMY!!

1xellus1 said...

@ Prissy Mum...Thanks so much for your patience. I'm trying to keep posting. :O) Everything was delic. Not a crumb remains. LOL

Mz. More said...

OMG, these look so good. I am at my desk salivating. I will have to try this recipe, thanks for sharing!

1xellus1 said...

@ Mz. More...Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. :O)