Budget Cooking...Comfort & Gourmet!
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Smothered Turkey/Chicken Chops
DELICIOUS! I've made a lifestyle change which involves no longer eating pork.
This recipe uses both Chicken & Turkey Chops. I believe the cut of meat is actually the thigh portion. It is cut frozen, against the grain to simulate the pork chop.
My husband thought these were ACTUALLY pork chops. Wow!
Caution, be sure to root through & meticulously inspect for thin shards of bone.
Chicken Chops don't have as many sharp bone fragments as the turkey chops.
They are perfect for tiny hands.
You can ask your butcher in the grocery store to cut turkey chops for you if you don't see them displayed. You may have to order in advance though, because I believe the meat must be frozen to cut it in this manner. Despite it's having been previously frozen, the chops were quite tender! I purchased mine from thefreshgrocer supermarket. I've seen turkey chops in ShopRite supermarket as well.
Chops in Gravy
2 large onions
2 large bell pepper
3 cloves fresh pressed garlic
5 turkey chops
just enough oil to coat the pan for frying (canola used here)
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 cup flour (seperated 3/4cup to bread turkey, 1/4 cup for roux)
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp lawry's seasoning salt
chicken stock (for gravy)
- Thinly slice onions & peppers set aside
- Rinse turkey chops & dry with paper towel
- Beat 1 egg & hot sauce in a bowl
- In a seperate bowl, pour the flour (less 1/4 cup reserved for the rue)& spices into a bowl and mix together.
- Preheat saute pan and coat with oil.
- Dip chops in wet mixture, then coat in the dry mixture.
- Place chops into hot pan with olive oil.
- Saute for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove chops from pan. Lay on paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Add sliced veggies to pan.
- Saute until transluscent.
- Remove veggies from pan.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to the oil. reduce heat.
- Slowly add chicken broth. (stirring)
- Place chops in the gravy.
- Cover with sauted veggies.
- Put a lid on the entire pan & cook on low for 5 minutes.
Serve over Rice. Enjoy!
Special Thanks to NicoleJB (my editing buddy)