Budget Cooking...Comfort & Gourmet!

Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Sweet & Spicy Chicken

Click Any Image For Enlarged View



Photo Credit: Real Simple



It cost me $3 to make this dish! The chicken quarters were on sale for $.49 a pound.
I fed a family of 5. Buy an extra pkg of chicken quarters when they go on sale & stash in the freezer!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
kosher salt and black pepper
1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces

Directions

1.Heat oven to 400° F. In a small bowl, combine the oil, chili powder, sugar, oregano, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

2.Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and rub with the spice mixture. Roast until cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve hot, room temperature, or chilled.

I totally forgot to add the oregano to this dish.
The measurements for the spices simply did not look like they were enough for a true rub. I tweaked it! I quadrupled the suggested amount.
I added paprika & a dash of cayenne pepper.
Also, they did not suggest wearing gloves.
I would highly recommend this! Disposable plastic gloves can be found at your local dollar store. The oils & the coarseness of the spices made lil' cuts in my palms. Even cold water burned when I tried to wash them. OUCH!
Wear gloves please!

I would suggest starting out with the chicken top side down. Next, flipping the chicken during 1/2 way mark during cooking. This would make it more crispy on both sides & less dark on the top. The sugar really made the crust dark. The chili powder imparted a smokey flavor that permeated the meat. It was delic. The fam wants me to make this again tomorrow. I probably won't. I get bored really easily & want to try new things often. The next time I make this, I'm going to pulse some oregano in my coffee grinder. I'll definitely post some better photos.

Brush Oil on Cleaned, Dry Chicken




Mix Spices with Salt & Brown Sugar





Rub Sweet/Spicy Rub On To Both Sides of Chicken




Place Chicken on Wire Rack. Juices will drain. If you have Convection feature on your oven, it will hasten cooking process & skin will be crispier.



Do Not Be Put Off By the Darkness. It's Delicious! Trust me!



I got this recipe from Real Simple
Check It Out!

Sweet and Spicy Chicken

No comments: